Consultant Adult Psychiatrist
- 40 hours per week (Full Time 40 hours per week)
- Hesketh Centre
- £88,364 - £119,133 per annum
- 13/12/2022 23:59
Applications are invited for a full-time Consultant Psychiatrist to join Southport and Formby Community Mental Health Team for adults of working age.
If successful in your application for this replacement full time post (10 PAs with the option of an additional PA for DCC), you will join a dynamic and dedicated multi-disciplinary team delivering high quality assessment and treatment of for adults with psychosis and other severe mental illnesses referred from linked general practices from the Southport and Formby area.
Main duties of the job
This is an exciting time to be joining adult mental health services with the implementation of a new clinical model that is already yielding improvements in care throughout the pathway, supported by more effective team working with primary care and adult inpatient acute care colleagues. You will be based at the newly built Hartley Hospital site which is a state of the art facility incorporating impatient and community care.
Mersey Care NHS FT is an innovative well led Trust, with an aspiration of Perfect Care for all of its service users, delivered through a supportive “Just Culture” environment for staff. For Consultant Psychiatrists it offers excellent opportunities for professional development, research and medical management roles.
Working for our organisation
Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust provides specialist inpatient and community mental health, learning disabilities, addiction and acquired brain injury services for the people of Liverpool, Sefton and Kirkby, Merseyside. We also provide community physical health services in Liverpool, Sefton, secure mental health services for the North West of England, the West Midlands and Wales and specialist learning disability services across Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Cheshire and Merseyside.
Our ambition is to deliver perfect care to become the world’s leading organisation in holistic health and well being.
Mersey Care’s vision and values of Continuous Improvement, Accountability, Respect, Enthusiasm and Support (CARES) drive our organisation and the way we work together to deliver services. Applicants will be expected to demonstrate, during recruitment and any subsequent employment with the Trust, that their behaviour supports our values.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The trust has a well organised and full implemented consultant appraisal system and trained appraisers are allocated to consultants by Dr. Noir Thomas Associate Medical Director for Appraisal and Revalidation, and Responsible Officer.
For doctors employed by Mersey Care to retain a licence to practise they must satisfactorily complete the process of revalidation. To ensure that all consultants and speciality doctors will participate in a satisfactory annual appraisal that will be sufficient to meet the requirements laid out by the GMC toward revalidation, the process of medical appraisal will be subject to methods that assure quality control.
Job planning is conducted annually and led by the post holder’s Lead Consultant with support from the Clinical Director and Chief Operating Officer as necessary. (please refer to sections below titled Work Programme and draft timetable).
The doctor’s range of work is recorded electronically on software made available by the Trust. This is made available to the medical manager before the job planning meeting. The meeting provides a review of objectives from the previous job plan and a mutually agreed set of objectives for the coming year. Individual job plans will be aligned to Trust,
Division, Service Line and personal objectives respectively.
Newly recruited consultants will attend the Essential Mandatory Trust Induction and be provided with a local induction by their Medical Manager. Induction includes training on the Trust’s clinical information system. A mentoring scheme exists for medical staff in the Trust and is available to all doctors, including consultants, for guidance and support for as long as they feel the need for it. This is actively encouraged for all newly appointed colleagues in their first Consultant post.
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management
- Additional clinical qualifications
- Fully registered with GMC with a licence to practice
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months.
- Approved clinician status
- Approved under S12
- In good standing with GMC with respect to warning and conditions on practice
Clinical knowledge and skills
- Excellent knowledge in specialty
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wide medical knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Able to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty
- Makes decisions based on evidence and experience including the contribution of others
- Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA
- Wide range of specialist and sub-specialist experience relevant to post within NHS or comparable service
Academic and lifelong learning
- Able to deliver undergraduate or postgraduate teaching and training
- Ability to work in and lead team
- Demonstrate commitment to shared leadership & collaborative working to deliver improvement
- Participated in continuous professional development
- Participated in research or service evaluation.
- Able to plan and deliver undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and training relevant to this post
- Reflected on purpose of CPD undertaken
- Experienced in clinical research and / or service evaluation.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Kuben Naidoo
- Job title
- Clinical Director
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0151 330 8554
- Additional information
Dr Kuben Naidoo, Clinical Director for Sefton & Knowsley: email@example.com 0151 330 8554